Currently, the following requirements must be met in order to install Consul on ECS:
- Terraform: The tasks that you want to add to the service mesh must first be modeled in Terraform.
- Launch Type: Only the Fargate launch type is currently supported.
- Subnets: ECS Tasks can run in private or public subnets. Tasks must have network access to Amazon ECR to pull images.
- Consul Servers: Currently, Consul servers must run inside ECS on Fargate using the
dev-serverTerraform module. This is a development/testing only server that does not support persistent storage. In the future, we will support production-ready Consul servers running in HashiCorp Cloud Platform and on EC2 VMs.
- Support EC2 launch type.
- Support production-ready Consul servers running outside of ECS in HashiCorp Cloud Platform or EC2.
- Support Consul TLS, ACLs, and Gossip Encryption.
- Support Consul service health checks.